Lots of screaming, lots of fruitcake, and lots more screaming. Guests: Erin Evans, Lindy Kempe, Joey O. Find show notes at https://adventcalendar.house
Tune in as we celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special the only way we know how: With lots of screaming, lots of fruitcake, and lots more screaming.
Erin Evans (@mserinmevans).
Lindy Kempe (@ieatvideogames).
Joey O. (Y-Not Radio, Words with Nerds, @ImGonnaDJ24).
1. Magic Johnson recorded his segment hours before playing in — and winning — a Lakers game. We don’t know the precise date, but one win was against the SuperSonics, possibly (but probably not) on Ice Cube’s “Good Day.”
2. One commercial break includes a bizarre Pringles commercial starring a young Brad Pitt.
3. Pee-wee’s Big Holiday.
4. When did fruitcake become a punchline? Christmas Past has something of an answer. Or is fruitcake a byproduct of the Joys of Jell-O era?
5. A mini ode to the Picture Phone, a giant, stationary Skype machine.
6. The working script and storyboards for this special.
7. Who mailed Grace Jones to the Reagan White House?
8. Pee-wee performing Surfin’ Bird in Back to the Beach.
9. The King of Cartoons’ cartoon: 1936’s Christmas Comes But Once a Year.
10. My feelings about snow mirror this one, particular Calvin and Hobbes comic strip, published 5 days after this special aired.
12. The awkward moment when we realize the Dinosaur Family has a pet dinosaur.
“Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special” © 1988 Paul Reubens.
Full show notes with links at adventcalendar.house.
Say hi on Twitter @adventcalhouse.