Advent Calendar House
Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey
Extend your ears as we revisit a lesser-known Rankin/Bass special from 1977. Guests: Lindy Kempe, Brandon Medley.
Day 12: We try to make more accurate donkeys in Nativity displays catch on like a certain elf on a certain shelf by revisiting the 1977 Rankin/Bass special, “Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey.”
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), slave-driving stable owner who sounds like he belongs on Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Lindy Kempe (@ieatvideogames, animal-inspiring and video game-eating cherub.
- Brandon Medley (@brandmed), Santa’s favorite snow plow puller from Blessed are the Geek.
Topics and Tangents
- Roger Miller performing “Do Wacka Do” in 1966 with another guitarist, “Stubbs,” who’s wearing a Batman T-shirt.
- Roger Miller’s “Whistle Stop” intro to Disney’s “Robin Hood” is secretly the Hamster Dance.
- Tilly’s ascension back to heaven is strikingly similar to Poochie’s exit from “The Itchy and Scratchy Show.”
- Mary has “the Glow” from “The Last Dragon.”
- Annalee Santa dolls.
Previous Episodes of This Podcast Mentioned
You can visit the Advent Calendar House on the web at adventcalendar.house, on Twitter @adventcalhouse, and on the Christmas Podcast Network.