Advent Calendar House - TV Holiday & Christmas Specials
Mister Magoo’s Christmas Carol
The nearsighted granddaddy of all animated Christmas specials. Guests: Anthony Caruso & Julia Colburn from Tis the Podcast.
It’s a very special Scrooge Sunday episode as a couple of elves from ’Tis the Podcast drop in to the Advent Calendar House to celebrate the first ever animated TV Christmas special, “Mister Magoo’s Christmas Carol,” from 1962.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), extremely nearsighted, but not that nearsighted.
- Anthony Caruso (@acaruso929), the bathrobe-adorned and out-of-order Ghost of Christmas Present.
- Julia Colburn, a candle in a jar of razzleberry dressing.
Topics and Tangents
- Jim Backus, the voice of Mister Magoo, based his portrayal of Thurston Howell III from “Gilligan’s Island” on another character he played on a radio show hosted by another famous future Scrooge, Alan Young.
- Nephew Fred is cut entirely to make room for a song about Broadway that sometimes also gets cut entirely.
- The ghosts of Christmas Present and Past show up out of order for no clear reason, but an A.V. Club article from 2012 tried to find one.
- Tiny Tim is an English-speaking Gerald McBoing-Boing.
- This special invented a flavor! Razzleberry pie is now a thing that exists, made with raspberries and blackberries.
- The Ghost of Christmas Past looks like “Toon Link” from “The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.”
- Marie Matthews, the voice of Young Scrooge, was on a 2009 panel revisiting the special. She’s now the last surviving member of the cast.
- Is Belle’s hair supposed to look like an actual bell?
- How is a mouse in the future the only one who can see Scrooge with any of the ghosts?
Previous Episodes of This Podcast Mentioned
The Advent Calendar House is on the web at adventcalendar.house and on Twitter @adventcalhouse.
The Advent Calendar House and ’Tis the Podcast are both part of the Christmas Podcast Network.