The Gaslighting of Dr. Liz Wilson. Guest: Jeff Somogyi. Find show notes at https://adventcalendar.house
🦃 We end our countdown to Christmas in July by badly dancing back to 1989 to celebrate the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season in Garfield’s Thanksgiving, the clear bronze medalist of Garfield’s holiday trilogy, thanks to Jon Arbuckle going from goofy pet owner to gaslighting, mansplaining, hopelessly inept creep.
Jeff Somogyi (Talkin’ Chopp, @sommerjam).
1. Orson the Pig from U.S. Acres makes a cameo in Liz’s waiting room.
2. The dumbest things we’ve done to get a date pale in comparison to Jon holding his breath until Liz concedes to going out with him. Please don’t do that.
3. Pat Carroll is back as Grandma in her 2nd greatest vocal performance of November 1989.
4. Julie Payne (Liz) was also briefly the voice of another cartoon doctor, Janice N!Godatu, from the other animated segment of The Tracey Ullman Show.
5. A brief history of sock garters.
6. This special confirms Jon can’t hear Garfield speaking, but somehow Garfield’s computerized, fat-shaming scale can.
7. The best of Calvin’s dad from Calvin and Hobbes.
8. Grandma Arbuckle’s Sweet Potatoes, as prepared by Dinosaur Dracula.
9. Cranberry sauce tastes better when it’s shaped like the inside of a can.
10. Desirée Goyette, the female singing voice in Garfield’s specials and also the voice of Nermal, also sang the title theme to It’s Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown.
Garfield Alpo Cat Food Commercial, 1989.
“Garfield’s Thanksgiving” © 1989 United Feature Syndicate, Inc./Anderson Digital.
Full show notes with links at adventcalendar.house.
Say hi on Twitter @adventcalhouse.