Advent Calendar House
A Garfield Christmas Special
“Whoever invented Christmas trees should be drug out into the street and shot.” —A cartoon for children. Guest: Jeff Somogyi.
Day 6: Let’s have a good, old-fashioned Christmas down on the farm in 1987’s “A Garfield Christmas Special,” featuring the voices of Squiggy and Ursula.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), 2-time all-county gravy champion.
- Jeff Somogyi (@sommerjam) of Talkin’ Chopp and Nerd Lunch’s Down the Rabbit Hole.
Topics and Tangents
- Gregg Berger, the voice of Odie, talks about the Christmas special in an interview by friend of the podcast Joey O.
- On lasagna as a Christmas food and how including shrimp as one of the Seven Fishes is cheating, you cheaters.
- Dinosaur Dracula identifies all of Garfield’s Christmas presents in the opening credits.
- Going long on the dinner prayer, plus the perfect gift for Grandma: an engraved grace-stoppin’ spoon.
- “Weird Al” Yankovic’s “The Night Santa Went Crazy” is better than “Christmas at Ground Zero.” Change my mind!
- The simultaneously best and worst line in the history of animated Christmas specials for children.
- How does Binky, the Clown who Saved Christmas, save Christmas?
After This Episode
- Listen to Joey O.’s full interview with Gregg Berger!
- Jeff wanted a ringtone of that blaring trumpet when Garfield looks down from the top of the Christmas tree, so here it is!
You can visit the Advent Calendar House on the web at adventcalendar.house, on Twitter @adventcalhouse, and on the Christmas Podcast Network.